MariaDB SkySQL adds distributed SQL in a new major update. SkySQL now runs Maria Platform X5, the latest version, which adds distributed SQL capabilities for a global scale. Its ability to be deployed as clustered or distributed, MariaDB SkySQL meets customers’ specific needs within one cloud database.
New and expanded cloud capabilities and offers:
- MariaDB Platform for distributed SQL: Xpand is a new smart engine that delivers distributed SQL through MariaDB Enterprise Server. This functionality is now also available in SkySQL with elastic scale, making it easy to increase or decrease capacity to handle anticipated usage spikes, such as increased shopping around Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Xpand in SkySQL also automatically rebalances data hotspots for optimum performance.
- MariaDB Platform for analytics: SkySQL includes a fully distributed cloud data warehouse that now provides massively parallel processing (MPP) for scalability and high availability on large datasets.
- End-to-end security: All SkySQL databases are secure by default, built from the ground up to provide the ultimate security in the cloud. SkySQL now also enforces secure SSL/TLS connections for any database access, avoiding exposure of data due to insecure defaults or configuration choices.
- Radically reduced complexity for application development: SkySQL provides a single connection point for applications rather than exposing individual database instances, primaries, or high availability replicas. SkySQL manages read/write-splitting, seamless failover, and application session migration. The result is fault tolerance and efficient use of resources that is completely transparent to developers and end-users.
- Expanded monitoring: SkySQL monitoring shows the status and all vital metrics for database instances and is highly customizable. The monitoring tool is updated to support the new topologies enabled in this new release of SkySQL such as Xpand for distributed SQL.
Michael Howard, CEO, MariaDB Corporation, said,
“We built MariaDB SkySQL to reduce the complexities introduced by first-generation cloud databases. The current landscape requires a smorgasbord of cloud services to get a single job done. AWS RDS for simple transactions, Aurora for availability and performance, Redshift for cloud data warehousing and Google Spanner for distributed SQL. SkySQL gives you all these capabilities in one elegant cloud database that delivers a consistent MariaDB experience regardless of the way you deploy it.”
Stay tuned for up-to-date Cloud Computing News