About this Event
Have you ever had trouble getting women to speak at your WordPress meetups or WordCamps in Latin America?
When we say women, we include anyone who identifies as a woman some or all of the time.
Currently, there aren’t enough female-identified speakers in Latin America. GreenGeeks desires to change this, starting with WordPress communities. GreenGeeks is teaming up with the lead of the Diverse Speaker Training group in WordPress (#wpdiversity), Jill Binder, to develop trainers who can teach others how to run the workshops at their local WordPress meetups all over Latin America.
We will teach you how to run the 4-hour workshop that has been proven to increase the number of women speakers in WordPress all over the world.
When you facilitate it for the women in your community:
- You will help them bust through personal obstacles to speaking, such as impostor syndrome;
- You will be helping them find a topic;
- You will help them create a title, pitch, bio, and outline;
- You will help them to become a better speaker;
- You will be giving them a chance to practice public speaking (optional);
- You will be helping them build confidence and feel motivated to start public speaking!
This workshop includes the following:
- A 3-hour live in person or online training
- A script for you to follow to run a WordPress Diverse Speaker Workshop
- Pre-recorded videos demonstrating how a workshop is run (currently in English) that you can watch later
- Social networking time for half an hour before and after
“All of the communities that held this workshop experienced a real change in the speaker roster for their annual conferences; many of their WordCamps went from having 10% women speakers to having 50% or more women speakers in less than a year. In 2017, Seattle had 60% women speakers and in 2018, Vancouver had 63%.”
– “Want to See a More Diverse WordPress Contributor Community? So Do We.”, Automattic blog post
1-1:30-pm: Grab a beverage and get to know your fellow attendees
4:30-5pm: Wrap up with more socializing and a beverage
What better way to spend your afternoon than connecting and learning?
Please try to arrive 10 minutes early so that we can start on time.
Tickets will be available until Thursday, July 9 at 2pm.
Questions And Answers
Q: “I really want to take it but I can’t that day!”
A: It’s recommended to take it in person if you can, but if you absolutely can’t, sign up so you can get access to the recording.
Q: “But there are no women in my community!”
A: Time and again, when the event is posted properly (which you’ll learn how), we see women who have never come out to an event before attend this workshop and then start participating in the community.
Q: I’m a man. Can I run these workshops?
A: This workshop is closed for women only. The woman attendee can always train you how to co-lead after, if she wishes.
Q: Does it work?
A: Yes! Jill and now her team have been training meetups to run this workshop for WordPress for two years now. The meetups around the world get the same kinds of amazing results. WordCamps go from typically 10% diverse speakers to often 50% or more.
Location: Online Event