Open-source database company, MariaDB Corporation Ab announced its IPO plans. The company will be listed publicly on the New York Stock Exchange in partnership with Angel Pond Holdings Corporation. Tre transaction implies a pro forma MariaDB enterprise value of approximately $672 million. After the transaction, the combined company will be named MariaDB plc.
$104 million full funded Series D
The agreement is accompanied by a million fully funded Series D private placement, which is led by new and existing investors, and an $18 million fully committed PIPE. The company stated that shareholders of MariaDB will rollover equity into the new company.
Angel Pond, co-founded by Theodore T. Wang, a former partner at Goldman Sachs and Shihuang “Simon” Xie, a co-founder of Alibaba, will be able to participate in the growth of the company. The combined company will be led by Michael Howard, CEO of MariaDB. MariaDB investment highlights:
- A leading relational database brand
- Thriving open source community drives viral adoption
- Attractive industry tailwinds with expected 27% CAGR of cloud database-as-a-service (DBaaS) to $33B by 2025
- Open source business model provides broad monetization platform via proprietary enterprise features and cloud DBaaS (hybrid and multi-cloud)
- Diversified blue-chip global customer base with sustainable organic expansion opportunities
Michael Howard, CEO of MariaDB said,
« MariaDB is the data backbone of services used by millions of people every day. Our mission is to build the database for all, providing a perfect balance of simplicity and raw power, including unified transactional and analytical processing for everyday applications. Whether customers move to open source or into the cloud, with MariaDB they are saving up to 90% of their total cost for databases. I am excited that a public investor base and enhanced capital access will allow us to accelerate the go-to-market for our technology that has already been battle-tested and proven its market fit. »