Algrano is a Swiss tech and coffee startup that changes the global trade of coffee. We have set ourselves an ambitious goal: to revolutionize the centuries-old coffee trade industry and make it transparent and digital. Through the algrano online platform, coffee growers promote and sell their coffees straight to roasters in Europe without worrying about the logistics. Awarded at our launch in 2015 as the best innovation by the European Coffee Industry Association, we currently count more than 1’000 growers and roasters from all over the world. Backed by a strong investors’ network our vision is to become the key direct coffee trading platform.
As a front-end designer at Algrano, you turn great ideas into elegant features that people enjoy to use, and help us to grow a successful business. You collaborate directly with the lead front-end designer (Jon), the full-stack developers (Fabio, Zmago, Piotr and Sebastian), and the product team (Jovana, Simon and Krystyna).
Your tasks will include:
- Designing, building and maintaining the web interface of our web platform
- Implementing designs in HTML and CSS, maintain a clean markup and provide cross-browser compatible interfaces
- Work closely on projects with our developers in building an idea into a real feature
- Help build and maintain our design system
- Implement web best practices like responsiveness and accessibility
- Contribute to features design and provide usability inputs in the wireframing phase to ensure a coherent algrano style from concept to implementation
The web is like your second home and talking about it makes you excited. You have a creative and a technical side, and love to express them both. You see code as a design tool and love collaborating on a product you see value in. Your goal is to create great user experiences that people love and enjoy to use.
Your strengths include:
- You have a good eye for design and have a clear understanding of user flows, typography, layout and visual hierarchy
- You are curious, a self learner and always open to new inputs
- You are self managed, you know how to prioritize your work in order to meet the goals
- You have a pragmatic approach, you know when to think abstract and when to go into details
Your experience, background and skills:
- You master HTML and CSS
- You have relevant work experience, where you implemented responsive web interfaces
- You understand the challenges of developing user centric interfaces
- You’re fluent in written and spoken English
- You live in Europe
Bonus points for:
- Proven experience in remote work
- Know-how in good copywriting
- Knowledge about SEO best practices
- Practise with agile methodologies
- Understanding in using a source control software like Git
- Experience in implementing design for a production web application with a web framework (Ruby on Rails or similar)
Why work for algrano?
- You will be part of a growing and talented team, united around a mission
- You are part of a diverse team made of many cultural backgrounds and skills
- Regular on-sight meetings in Switzerland and around Europe
- We provide you a computer or participate in buying new hardware to make sure you will enjoy your time coding with us.
- High quality code base: we understand the need to clean the kitchen after cooking and strive to maintain our code as elegantly as possible.