Hi, my name is Brad Touesnard. I’m the founder of Delicious Brains Inc. We make high quality products for WordPress.
The “we” is currently a small team of eight developers, one designer, one marketer, and myself. I’m very proud to say that our little crew has been managing to delight thousands of customers for years.
In addition to this position, I’m currently in the process of hiring a Developer Writer with plans for more soon. We have big plans for 2020. Exciting times!
Back in November 2018, we launched a new SaaS product called SpinupWP (a modern cloud-based server control panel designed for WordPress). We launched out of beta in May last year and have been growing steadily ever since. We’ve helped thousands of customers spin up over 11,000 sites, perform over 91,000 site backups, and perform over 1 million tasks!
I’m looking for a talented Laravel developer to join Gilbert and Ash to help build new features for SpinupWP as well as help out with support and documentation.
The app is built using Laravel (PHP) and the front-end is built using Vue.js, so lots of experience with both frameworks and their associated tooling is essential. You’ll also be using Ansible to make sure SpinupWP provisions servers and creates and maintains sites using our LEMP stack so experience configuring Linux servers and server software (Nginx, PHP, MySQL, Redis, etc) is also essential.
We currently work in eight-week cycles with a two-week cooldown period where you can work on whatever you want from the SpinupWP backlog. All of our code is committed to GitHub and your code will be reviewed by Gilbert or Ash using GitHub pull requests. You’ll also be reviewing Gilbert and Ash’s code.
- Help plan and define the scope of new features
- Work on bug fixes and improvements during each cycle
- Maintain and write new unit and acceptance tests
- Write documentation and in-app copy
- Support our customers via email (~30 mins per day)
- Write articles and tutorials for our blog
- Attend company retreats (see details below)
- 6+ years of advanced PHP development
- 6+ years of HTML & CSS development
- 1+ years of project work with git as source control
- 1+ years configuring and maintaining Linux servers and server software (Nginx, PHP, MySQL, Redis, etc)
- 1+ years developing with Laravel or similar PHP framework
- Experience writing automated tests
- Excellent English communication skills (spoken and written)
- Work hours in a North America time zone
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience building a web app using Laravel & Vue.js
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience building and using REST APIs
- UX and design skills
- Open source contributions
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
You’re excited about the prospect of working on the full spectrum of tasks that are required to build a successful SaaS app. From backend and frontend development, sysadmin, design and UX to documentation and support. You don’t mind wearing multiple hats on any given day.
You’re curious and love to learn. You embrace the opportunity to level up, learn something new and really dig into it. You’re a disciplined worker and have no trouble getting work done at home on any given day.
You value consistency above preference and will adopt new coding styles, standards, and tools to that end. You are stellar at identifying the simple, elegant solution in a sea of over-engineering possibilities.
Although you often need people to help you generate ideas and formulate a plan of attack on a project, you do your best work in isolation without interruption. You’re proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction.
You’re exceptional at communicating in writing via instant message, email, etc. You’re ok on the phone and video chat too. You understand that clear, concise written communication is how remote teams thrive. Putting a pull request up for review without explaining its context is unheard of for you.
You own both successes and failures. When a project you’re leading turns into a disaster, you own it and you learn from it. You never point the finger at others.
You invite criticism and genuinely want to grow as a professional. You’re on board with pushing each other to be better and are not afraid to give constructive criticism in addition to receiving it.
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest, as long as you can make scheduled meetings.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. 💪As long you’re hitting 30-37.5 hours per week on average and you do what you say you’ll do, we’re good.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. Last year we met up in Berlin and we were planning to head to Portugal in June (before a global pandemic struck). Will you be joining us on future retreats?
- Personal Development. If there’s a conference or event that will help you level up, the company will cover your expenses. You’re also allotted 3 hours per month to learn something new, participate in community discussions, and/or contribute to an open source project.
- Profit Sharing. I present a Profit & Loss report to the team quarterly so everyone knows how the company is doing. And when the company does well, the team does well.
- Company Holidays. Things get pretty quiet in late December / early January, so we always treat ourselves to a couple of weeks off to reboot during this time.
- Paid Leave. For the birth or adoption of a child, the company offers 8 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 3 weeks for secondary caregivers. We also offer 5 paid sick days and 3 days of paid bereavement leave.
- Competitive Salaries. The company pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. We don’t use the benefits of remote as leverage to negotiate lower salaries.
Fill out the application form: https://deliciousbrains.com/laravel-developer-apply
We are an equal opportunity employer. Application information that is prone to unconscious biases is hidden during the review process whenever possible. We judge the content of the applications on their own without knowledge of the applicant’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. We support workplace diversity, but not at the expense of equal opportunity and meritocracy. We’re looking for talented and empathetic people no matter their other attributes.
I look forward to reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Founder & CEO
Delicious Brains Inc.