OpenCraft is an open source software development company, working with higher education (Harvard, MIT, Arizona State University, University of British Columbia), corporate e-learning (edX, Autodesk, Cloudera), NGOs and government. We specialize in the Open edX platform.
We are a boutique dev shop with an inclusive culture, and 30 team members located all around the world. Our team is made up of people who are curious, inventive, and hard-working. We have been working 100% remotely for over 7 years now. You will be able to work from anywhere you want, as long as you have a good internet connection. : )
We base our work on the principles of open-first, transparency, open source, self-management, and a heavy focus on quality. You can learn everything about us and our processes in our public handbook.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic, Senior Sales Engineer to join the OpenCraft team and serve in a key and visible role to lead the planning, development, and execution of our sales and business development strategy. Our Senior Sales Engineer is our primary salesperson, and uses their technical and sales background to prepare and deliver our business proposals.
As per our self-management principles, the Senior Sales Engineer handles the planning and execution of their work, and is empowered to take the lead on projects and make decisions that affect their work. For example, you could set up an experimental project to increase lead generation, and assume full ownership of the project in terms of planning, management, and execution of this project. Our self-management approach distributes decision-making to allow efficiency, creativity and flexibility, all the while keeping a focus on our commitment to quality.
We’re looking for someone with computer engineering experience and a strong customer focus, who thrives in cross-functional roles, loves working side-by-side with other engineers, and can confidently lead several work streams at once.
What you’ll be doing
- Coordinating sales and business development
- Using your sales and technical knowledge to assess prospects’ needs, and prepare business proposals
- Delivering proposals in meetings with prospects
- Processing, qualifying, and converting leads
- Documenting leads and accounts in our CRM
- Coordinating new accounts and projects with the development team
- Planning projects for lead generation, prospection, and process improvements
- Contributing to marketing efforts (coordinating blog posts, newsletters, case studies, producing materials, etc.)
- Participating in open source community working groups and activities
- Supporting open source community members, and contributing to the community
- Giving talks at the annual Open edX conference
- 5+ years working in software sales/business development
- 3+ years working as a software or sales engineer
- Experience working with higher education
- High technical interest and proficiency, i.e. you’ve dabbled with code and can find your way around a codebase
- Excellent communication skills (fluent in English, read, written, and spoken) and ability to foster rapport and strong client relationships
- Detail-oriented with a positive approach to taking on new challenges
- Ability to work collaboratively, as part of a team, with internal stakeholders
- Strong work ethic, time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Good professional presentation and consulting skills
- A personal computer with a robust internet connection
Nice to haves
- Experience working with agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, sprints)
- DevOps experience, especially on Debian/Ubuntu servers, Terraform, Vault, Packer, Prometheus, ELK, Docker
- Remote work experience
- Experience with contributing to free software projects, and communicating within a free software community
- Knowledge around the Open edX platform
Conditions of employment
- Full-time contractor position (paid hourly, no sales commission)
- 100% remote
|Job Category||Sales & Marketing|