AlmaLinux OS Foundation announced the new stable version of AlmaLinux OS 8.5. The new stable release for x86_64 and ARM architectures is ready for production installations and power the computing needs and workloads. AlmaLinux OS 8.5 brings new and updated components.
What is AlmaLinux?
AlmaLinux is a free and open-source community-driven Linux distribution, originally developed by the CloudLinux team as a CentOS alternative. Alma is a Spanish word that means “soul”, chosen to be an homage to the Linux community. The distribution is called as AlmaLinux OS and it is a production-grade enterprise operating system, which is binary-compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
- Added new module streams:
- nginx 1.20
- Node.js 16
- Ruby 3.0
- Updated components:
- PHP 7.4.19
- Squid 4.15
- Mutt 2.0.7
- Compiler Updates:
- GCC Toolset 11
- LLVM Toolset 12.0.1
- Rust Toolset 1.54.0
- Go Toolset 1.16.7
- The closest mirror will be selected automatically in network install mode.
- Added new repositories:
- SCAP Security Guide includes new profiles and improvements for the existing profiles:
- A new profile aligned with the Australian Cyber Security Centre Information Security Manual (ACSC ISM).
- The Center for Internet Security (CIS) AlmaLinux profile
- (opens new window) restructured into four different profiles (Workstation Level 1, Workstation Level 2, Server Level 1, Server Level 2).
- The Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) security profile updated to version V1R3.
- A new STIG profile compatible with Server with GUI installations.
- A new French National Security Agency (ANSSI) High-Level profile, which completes the availability of profiles for all ANSSI-BP-028 v1.2 hardening levels in the SCAP Security Guide.
Download AlmaLinux 8.5 ISO Images
What are the latest AlmaLinux versions?
How long will AlmaLinux be supported?
AlmaLinux 8.X versions will be supported until 2029 and AlmaLinux 9.X versions will be supported until 2032.
Is AlmaLinux free?
Yes, AlmaLinux is a completely free and open-source Linux distribution.
Is AlmaLinux lightweight?
Yes, AlmaLinux is a lightweight and strong enterprise-focused Linux distribution.
Who owns AlmaLinux?
AlmaLinux is a community-driven Linux operating system. The AlmaLinux OS Foundation is a non-profit organization created for the benefit of the AlmaLinux OS community.
Is AlmaLinux same as RHEL?
Yes, AlmaLinux is an RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) fork and is 1:1 binary compatible with it.
Is AlmaLinux same as CentOS?
Yes, AlmaLinux is one of the best CentOS alternatives and is 1:1 binary compatible with its pre-Stream version.
Is AlmaLinux good for servers?
AlmaLinux is an enterprise-focused Linux distribution that delivers a variety of tools for use on servers.
Does AlmaLinux have a desktop environment?
Yes, AlmaLinux has a desktop environment. It comes with GNOME by default. You can install any other desktop environments according to your needs.
Can AlmaLinux be installed on a virtual machine?
Yes, AlmaLinux can be installed on a virtual machine. A virtual machine (VM) allows you to run an operating system within another operating system. This means that you can install AlmaLinux on a virtual machine and run it on top of your current operating system, without the need to replace it or partition your hard drive. To install AlmaLinux on VMWare, you can refer to our article: How to create VM and install a Linux distro on VMWare Workstation