- GSMA announced that in MWC 2023, there were over 88,500 attendees, of whom 56% came from sectors adjacent to the mobile ecosystem.
- The GSMA team is working on MWC Shanghai, which is scheduled for 28-30 June 2023, MWC Las Vegas 26-28 September 2023, and MWC Africa 17-19 October 2023.
- The event theme “Velocity” was brought to life in key themes discussed across multiple platforms.
GSMA is wrapping up Mobile World Congress 2023, one of the world’s largest connectivity events. GSMA announced that more than 88,500 attendees from 202 countries and territories joined the event, including policymakers and business leaders from the mobile ecosystem.
1 million unique viewers
MWC is a platform for industry announcements and thought leadership. The event theme was “Velocity” and it was discussed across multiple platforms, including 5G, AI, the fair share debate and public policy, as well as cross-sector collaborations, including the GSMA’s Open Gateway initiative. GSMA also published detailed information about the event.
MWC Barcelona 2023 in numbers:
- Over 88,500 people attended in-person, 56% from industries adjacent to the core mobile ecosystem
- Attendees from 202 countries and territories
- More than 2,400 exhibitors, sponsors and partners
- Over 1,000 speakers and thought leaders
- Over 40% of keynotes speakers are from adjacent industries, with more than 40% female keynote speakers
- Over half of the attendees at the director level and above, of which 21% were C-suite and 26% female attendees
- The GSMA Ministerial Programme convened with the highest number of delegations ever, with 196 delegations from over 150 countries, nearly 70 ministers, and over 100 heads of regulatory authorities.
- 4YFN welcomed almost 800 exhibitors, more than 375 speakers, and over 250 pitching sessions
- Reporting on the event in person, more than 2,400 journalists and industry analysts from around the world
- On average, 10,000 networking meetings set up daily through the app
- Around a million unique viewers of the keynote sessions on MWC Barcelona, Mobile World Live and partner platforms
- Based on pre-event forecasting, the GSMA expected €350 million of economic impact and 7,400 part-time jobs would be created in the city of Barcelona by MWC Barcelona 2023.
MWC Barcelona is the first event of the 2023 MWC series. The team is now working on planning the subsequent iterations of MWC and launching the Mobile 360 series in 2023. Upcoming events are MWC Shanghai, which is scheduled for 28-30 June 2023, MWC Las Vegas 26-28 September 2023, and MWC Africa 17-19 October 2023. John Hoffman, CEO of GSMA said,
« MWC Barcelona is back in full force. The level of energy and support from partners, businesses and policymakers has exceeded our hopes and expectations. I am continuously awed and humbled by the sense of community, innovation, excitement and business generation at MWC Barcelona. Anecdotally, exhibitors and partners are reporting that their expectations have been surpassed and, in some cases, have beaten 2019. On behalf of the GSMA, I would like to express our sincerest thanks to all new and returning attendees, exhibitors, speakers, partners and sponsors, without whom this gathering would not be possible. »