PinePhone, a Linux-only smartphone, will be available for pre-ordering next week after being tested by some developers.
The early adopter ‘Brave Heart’ editions which will cost 150$ are going to be shipped and delivered by December 2019 or January 2020. PinePhone, a Linux-only smartphone using Allwinner A64, was announced at FOSDEM 2019 in January. The team wanted to make a FOSS Linux for many years. The phone topic was first announced in 2017. After two years, ending the development phase, PinePhone will be ready for pre-order next week.
- For more information about Linux you can read this article: What is Linux? Everything About Linux for beginners
Linux-based budget-friendly smartphone
Some developers will be testing the PinePhone early developer kit which will be shipped by 15th November. The developer kit includes PINE A64 baseboard + SOPine module + 7″ Touch Screen Display + Camera + Wifi/BT + Playbox enclosure + Lithium-Ion battery case + LTE cat 4 USB dongle.
According to the forum of Pine64, software development on this project had already begun – UBPorts, Maemo Leste, PostmarketOS, Plasma Mobile as well as other developers have received early kits to get up to speed on the A64 SOC. The team expects to see some of the aforementioned software is already running on top of the mainline kernel.
Linux-based budget smartphone PinePhone delivers a functioning Linux phone to end-users. Moreover, it creates a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well-established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects are represented on the PinePhone. It means for developers to work together on the platform to bring support to this community-driven device.
Specifications of PinePhone
● llwinner A64 Quad Core SoC with Mali 400 MP2 GPU
● 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM
● 5.95″ LCD 1440×720, 18:9 aspect ratio (hardened glass)
● Bootable MicroSD
● 16GB eMMC
● HD Digital Video Out
● USB Type C (Power, Data and Video Out)
● Quectel EG-25G with worldwide bands
● WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n, single-band, hotspot capable
● Bluetooth: 4.0, A2DP
● GNSS: GPS, GPS-A, GLONASS
● RGB status LED
● Selfie and Main camera (2/5Mpx respectively)
● Main Camera: Single OV6540, 5MP, 1/4″, LED Flash
● Selfie Camera: Single GC2035, 2MP, f/2.8, 1/5″
● Sensors: accelerator, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, ambient light
● 3 External Switches: up-down and power
● HW switches: LTE/GNSS, WiFi, Microphone, Speaker, USB
● Samsung J7 form-factor 3000mAh battery
● The case is matte black finished plastic
● Headphone Jack
The price of the PinePhone will be about $150. The early adopter release has been named ‘Brave Heart’ edition and it will go on sale on November 15, 2019. Mass production of PinePhone will begin after Chinese New Year, likely in early March 2020.
Stay tuned for up-to-date Mobile News
Follow us on Google News